Welcome to the Spring City Cycling Club!
The Spring City Cycling Club (SCCC) of Huntsville, Alabama was founded in 1892 (yes, over 119 years ago!) for the purpose of the promotion and development of bicycling for sport, fitness, recreation, transportation, and safety education. The Club organizes a wide variety of bicycling activities suitable for all biking enthusiasts. There are club sponsored rides every week throughout the year. The club participates and promotes bicycle advocacy for Huntsville and the surrounding areas. The club also organizes an annual USAC Race in the summer, and a century tour in the fall.
- Spring Joyce Kilmer Campout is fast approaching. Rattler Ford Group Camp, Site #4 is reserved from Friday, April 26 through Monday, April 29 (3 nights). If you need additional information please contact Gretchen Everts at 256-426-8209, or geverts(at)gmail.com
- Mayor's Ride is May 4th in downtown Huntsville.
- Monthly Meeting, May 13, 7:00pm – Location: Newk's Express, 4925 University Dr., Huntsville.
Program: AlaBike Update by new Director Stan Palla.
- May is Bike Month, Bike to Work Week is May 13-17 and Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 17
- Ride of Silence is May 15th. Stay tuned for more details.
- City of Huntsville is kicking off a new campaign to become a more bicycle-friendly city on May 6th. This campaign is intended to promote awareness of and educate all Huntsville citizens on cyclists and bicycle safety, and to increase the number of cyclists in Huntsville.
- All-You-Can-Eat Century coming up on September 21st is part of the Alabama Backroads Century Series. Check out these other great rides all around Alabama.
- For Immediate Release:
We regret to report that the Rocket City Criterium Race Weekend (May 18-19) in Huntsville, AL is cancelled for 2013. Sponsorship resources for this year were not sufficient to deliver the quality and maintain the growth expected from the first two years of this great event. Go big or go home. Rest assured, RCC will be back, better and bigger than ever in May 2014. More racing, more hills and more money in 2014. Stay tuned!
Sincerely, Rocket City Criterium Event Committee (Chris Cundiff – RCC Race Director, Morgan Andriulli – Alabama Bicycle Coalition/Spring City Cycling Club, Ralph Stone – Executive Director, Huntsville Sports Commission
- New members to the League of American Bicyclists (LAB) get $10 off membership at every level in August, join the League using code BIKEAUG12. By joining the League, you will be helping promote cycling at the national level, and you'll get subscriptions to Bicycling magazine and their own American Bicyclist, as well as other discounts and special offers.
- We still have a few 2012 SCCC Jerseys in stock, the price is $75. We ordered the Axis Short Sleeve jersey from Hincapie Sportswear. Click here for more information. Contact Dean Della Pella if you would like to purchase one.
- The SCCC has instituted a member incentive program called the Participation Points Program (PPP). Read all about it and start earning points!
- Dangerous Dog Bill Passes for Madison County One good outcome of the 2010 Election was the passage of the Madison County Dangerous Dog Bill. Now civil penalties can be assessed against owners of Dangerous Dogs (The definition of a ‘Dangerous Dog’ is yet to be defined.) The amendment appeared on the ballot November 2 thanks to local legislative representive Randy Hinshaw, who was voted out of office on Tuesday.
- The city of Huntsville has formed a Bicycle Safety Committee that will be meeting regularly in response to increased calls for improved bicycle awareness. Members of the SCCC and Alabike are among the committee members. City of Huntsville web page is now online.