Skip to main content
Spring City Cycling Club
Springcity Cycling Club
HomeIncident Reporting


Drivers and Hazards

If you have experienced a close call, aggressive driver behavior or hazardous condition there are two city resources for reporting this information to the City of Huntsville. If you have an incident of a dog attack, riders may contact the animal control agencies for that geographic area and/or give the dog owner a legal notice of the dog attack.

City of Huntsville

The See and Be Seen Report Form allows you to report time, place, description and nature of the incident, including photographs or video. The report tool issues a report number to you when you complete the report. If the incident rises to the level of requiring investigation by Huntsville Police Department, include the report number and any video or photographs with the initial incident report. The incident information is visible to a number of City Departments, including Traffic Engineering, Planning and HPD.


The Huntsville Police Department non-emergency number, (256) 722-7100, is how to file an incident report with HPD if you think an actionable violation by a motorist requires a complaint and follow-up. You can file a complaint over the telephone, or you can go in-person to any of the three HPD city precincts to file an incident report. The report will be given to an officer to investigate. Salient details such as license plate numbers, make/models and color of car and a description of the driver are important and need to be included in the report. If you have uploaded the incident information to the See and Be Seen Incident report form, you should include the report number issued to you by the tool when the report was submitted. Huntsville Police Department can refer to that report for photographs, video, GIS position and other information to assist investigating your complaint.

General Maintenance, Road Hazards, Potholes, Debris, Visibility Issues, Signalization Issues or Street Sweeping:

For maintenance, upkeep, road hazard and general engineering or public works issues, make an online request through the SeeClickFix site.  These requests are referred directly to the responsible department within the city.  You will be notified of placement of the request and whether or not is is closed.  

Loose Dogs/Animal Complaints

If you are attacked by a dog. You can call the Animal Control Agencies or you can use this information to notify the owner of the dangerous situation. It is the rider’s determination as to what actions to take.

Note there is contributory Acceptance of Risk if you do not make a report of a known danger. We know where lots of dogs are on routes: If you do not notify the owner that day, we could be held to "accepting the risk" and the dog/owner would not be responsible for some future incident.  To avoid Contributory Acceptance of Risk, give the owner legal notice.
Steps to give Legal Notice
1) After your ride, complete a Legal Notice of Dog Attack of Dog Attack;
2) Add your signature and printed names;
3) Have one other rider witness your signature, and sign and print their name, 
4) Take a pic of the completed card and maybe a video of your account of the incident,
5) Drive by the house and get the address. Send the card via USPS registered mail).

If you are bit or you crashed due to a dog incident (even if you were not bit):
     - Protect yourself by any means from further attacks.
     - Call 911 (carry your phone)
     - If you can keep riding, it protects you if you make an emergency room visit to document the injury, in case a lawsuit is required.
DO NOT post pics or vids online. Preserve those for your attorney if needed.

Huntsville Animal Services - 256-883-3788 or fill out an Animal Complaint.  After hours, contact HPD - 256-722-7100.

Madison County Animal Control - 256-532-1519 or 256-532-1651.




Cycliq makes a well-designed HD Video/Light system for road bikes.


Danny Feldman Alabama Bicycle Accident Attorney, Lewis and Feldman, LLC, Birmingham, AL.